Friday, August 28, 2009

Mix & Match (Before)

This week one of my very favorite people in the whole world celebrated her birthday. MY Mom! Easily one of the nicest and most caring women you could ever run across. I know it and there's absolutely NO chance I could ever forget as people tell me that ALL of the time. I promise it's the truth!

She has a fabulous circle of friends. There are ladies she "garden clubs" with, ladies she "book circles" with, lovely women she knows through charities and other women's organizations, friends who share a love of theatre, orchestra and opera plus the women (some solo and some with husbands) whom she and my dad socialize with. But... there's this tiny group of women that get together every time one of them is celebrating a birthday and for this group I decided to throw a birthday luncheon instead of their standard get-together.

I made a tablecloth out of this fabric and used pink bandanas for the napkins. If you don't know me, it won't take long to realize that I'm all about about juxtaposition! Naturally, I liked that the bandana is ultra casual and yet the fabric has a more "dressed-up" feel. They match, but... then again, they don't. Sometimes, my "which one doesn't really completely belong?" approach is more obvious but here I think it's really pretty subtle.
I had a great time doing all of this because it was for someone so special AND because my sweet friend Elizabeth helped with all the behind the scene stuff. Friends now for almost ten years, I think my mom almost thinks of Elizabeth as a daughter too.



The flowers were plentiful and, yes, I realize I went a little overboard but I also think that having too much to work with beats coming up short. I used lots of roses, gerber daisies and thistle. I'll give you the details on the grand finale tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment