Monday, August 31, 2009

Airing Our Dirty Laundry

I am a mother of four--that's right FOUR--boys! Handsome, funny and almost completely disinterested in clothes. So it should be something of a surprise, and it is, even to me, that... lying awake a few nights ago, I thought of making an embellished "very girl-y" t-shirt completely from a single let's-just-say "no longer used undergarment." I woke up the next morning and decided that I was going to give it a try before the week's events conspired and I simply forgot to try. Of course, first there was the little matter of getting every one to school which at times is the major stresser of my entire day. That done, I still wanted to give it a whirl. I know... I amaze myself sometimes. Mothers of school-age children out there, you know what I'm talking about.

Most of the t-shirts in our arsenal of unusable laundry are wearing the discoloration that comes from constant washing in a mineral-laden water supply but I did manage to find one that was fairly white and still in pretty good shape. Seemed a shame to relegate it to the ragpile anyway so I cut away the sleeves of the shirt that just moments before it was destined for a future of dusting and polishing.

The embellishing material came only from the sleeves which I cut from my too-small and cast-off Fruit of the Loom Tee.



Then I decided to try dye-ing it another color. I was thinking maybe a soft teal but...after a thorough check, I discovered Mother Hubbard's Pantry was completely out of that color dye so, as a second choice, I opted for diluting some red dye. I wanted to get a soft pink. This is what I got instead...

Not necessarily a bad color. Just too pink for my taste.
The neckline was easy--rolled down and stitched. Really, it was that simple.


All I can say is... Thanks to the magic provided by a little bleach, I got to the
soft blush color I was after with one washing! Clorox is definitely my close friend.











2 comments: