Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oddly Fascinating

A large department store chain holds a fixture and prop sale about once a year in my town. The worn out, damaged or just no-longer-loved stuff of display teams is hauled to a huge open blacktop area surrounded by a chain-link fence. This goes on for several weeks before the actual day of the sale. Though there is an open sided tent for anything requiring special handling, most of it sits out exposed to the elements--bright sun, heat, rain, wind etc. Since the sale's location is nearby, I can see some of the recent additions whenever I go past during this oh-so-enticing accumulation phase.
Anyway, people line up for hours before it opens. There are usually even a number of people who camp out the whole night before--I guess they get some kind of a memo telling them the world will stop spinning if they are not the first ones through the gate. I'm a pretty dedicated finder-of-things but I just can't see the pajama party angle. There's plenty for everyone so... at least, so far, I've only been crazy enough to show up an hour or two prior to the opening stampede. My friends and I make the most of this unusual get-together time and have alot of fun talking, eating breakfast and cracking open our first diet coke of the day. In other words, it's not all work.

No matter what the arrival time...Very few walk away empty handed.





Generally, I like older fabric dressforms but, on this day, for some mystical reason, I found the surreal-ness of these manequins and form parts almost other-worldly. My gut instincts couldn't decide whether to file this under cool or creepy OR both!







No comments:

Post a Comment