Monday, July 20, 2009

Just Because


It's hot here. I mean, REALLY hot!
And, to make matters worse, it's so humid that everything is in a constant state of "damp." That said, outdoor entertaining at this time of year is hardly the stuff dreams are made of. Winter is an unrecognized season/word where I live--it just doesn't exist except in our dreams. And Fall is threatening to join the list of the "gone missing." Even so, each year when the temperature starts to dip, however infrequently, to anything below 95 degrees, I start thinking about hosting an
outdoor get-together. Some times, I've even gotten around to doing it.








Last year, my friend Elizabeth and I hatched this idea to turn her porte cochere (that's a carport to most of us) into an outdoor dining room. We didn't have a special event or reason ... it was just because! Spurred on by each other's enthusiasm, we actually did set it up. Now, carports are NOT generally beautiful places but her home is "older" and, architecturally speaking, we could probably have held a lovely dinner just doing nothing more than putting a table and chairs in the middle of it. We, however, had bigger plans. So, we hoisted out an oriental carpet, hung a chandelier and brought out the "good stuff." Oh yes, and to create an intimate atmosphere, we draped some fabric panels as a curtained entrance. This definitely was NOT your typical Sunday barbeque.

Starting with the basics, we gathered our supplies. The idea was to make our celebration simple but special and to use what nature was making readily available.

The table turned out great but it was the food that stole the show. I, for one, am all about the appetizers. If I had to choose one food to live on the rest of my life, it would be a savory vs. a sweet dessert. But on this day, there was something for everyone.





For those who think chocolate is a cure for almost anything, there was this....
It might be dark and rich but it was simple and it still had such "presence."




The table settings were inspired by fall plants from a local store.
Ornamental kale!
I think it is just about the most interesting vegetable-- color and texture wise, that is. At least that's what I thought that day. Then...shrub clippings for the individual settings!



This year, if I can find the time, who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment